Tuesday, 26th January 2021

This Month's Magazine
It is said that vitamin D protects against Covid-19

It is said that vitamin D protects against Covid-19

With the reduction of sunlight and absorption of sunshine it’s a good time to keep your shopping list D in mind: foods rich in vitamin D

About 80% of the vitamin D we need comes from the sun, and the other 20% from food. By directly exposing the skin to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun for about 15-30 minutes a day, the production of vitamin D3 from cholesterol molecules (7-dehydrocholesterol) will be activated. So it seems logical to think that in the grey months, it is convenient to reinforce the vitamin D that comes from food Vitamin D deficiency is associated with a greater number of infections because it plays a role in activating the immune system, and this is the reason why vitamin D is in fashion at this time in the fight against coronavirus. More studies are still needed
to find out if the lack of vitamin D encourages infections or if the infection the lack of vitamin D.

While Vitamin D does not cure the coronavirus, nor does it protect against contagion, Vitamin D deficiency is associated with playing a role in activating the immune system. Most adults need about 15 micrograms (mcg) a day. Babies 10 mcg and up to 20 mcg in adults 71 years and older.

Vitamin D amounts should be shown on food labels in international units (IU). One microgram equals 40 IU, and Vitamin D levels above 100 ng / ml can be dangerous, an overdose can be toxic especially on sunny days. To help with your shopping We list some foods showing the amount of Vitamin D in their raw state, expresses in micrograms.


Here you can see the amount of vitamin D in raw foods, expressed in micrograms (μg or mcg) or IU (international units) per 100 grams of food (1 mcg)

Sardines 11 mcg - 440 IU
Wild Salmon 8.4 mcg - 336 IU
Halibut 5 mcg - 200 IU
Tuna 4.2 mcg - 168 IU
Sole 3 mcg - 120 IU
Cod 1.8 mcg - 72 IU
Cod liver oil 300 mcg - 12000 IU
Raw whole chicken egg 2.9 mcg
116 IU
Cheeses: Emmental 1.1 mcg - 44
IU; Camembert 0.5 mcg - 20 IU; Gouda
1.3 mcg - 52 IU
Whole milk 0.1 mcg - 4 IU
Minced beef 5 mcg - 200 IU
Poultry 1.1 mcg - 44 IU

In vegetables
Avocado 4.5 mcg - 180 IU
Mushrooms 3.1 mcg - 124 IU
Enriched margarine 5 mcg - 200 IU

Start Blogging:
Other related businesses