Saturday, 19th June 2021

This Month's Magazine
Did you know that..?

Did you know that..?

A pick of useless but interesting newspapers extracts and topics, some even curious.

Cameron says Johnson and Gove ‘left the truth at home’. David Cameron says Boris Johnson and Michael Gove behaved “appallingly” during the EU referendum campaign. The former prime minister said his Tory colleagues had “left the truth at home” on the referendum campaign trail. He also said the referendum result in  2016 had left him “hugely depressed” and he knew “some people will never forgive me”. The Times

Obesity among primary school leavers  to hit 40% by 2024. Almost four in ten children leaving primary school in 2024 will be clinically obese or overweight, according  to a new report from Public Health England. Experts predict that 38.1% of 11-year-olds will be an unhealthy weight in five years’ time, compared with 34.3% at  resent. Current data shows that children from poorer areas are more than twice as likely to be overweight as those from more affluent neighbourhoods. The  Independent

Slow walking at 45 ‘a sign of faster ageing’. How fast people walk in their 40s is a sign of how much their brains, as well as their bodies, are ageing,  cientists have suggested. Using a simple test of gait speed, researchers were able to measure the ageing process. Not only were slower walkers’ bodies ageing more  uickly - their faces looked older and they had smaller brains. The international team said the findings were an “amazing surprise”. BBC


Consumers spend more money on credit cards than on cash. Debit card spending overtook cash back in 2016, but this is the first-time credit card spending has done so  oo, according to the British Retail Consortium. In fact, cash is now only used in 20% of spending, with plastic making up almost all of the remaining 80%. The  transition has led retailers to call for a reduction in card and transaction fees last year alone, retailers paid £1.3bn to third-party firms so that they could accept card  payments. Yahoo

Making an argument? Keep it simple. When we’re passionate about making a persuasive case to others, many of us opt to pile on the supporting evidence. But when it comes to argumentation, less is often more. When we take an “everything but the kitchen sink” approach to persuasion, our argument often suffers from a “dilution  effect”, where stronger evidence mixes with the weak, making everything seem average. To make your case, go for short and sweet. Editor

Young people ‘panic’ without smartphones.  Almost a quarter of children and young people are so dependent on their smartphones that they can be said to be suffering  an addiction, according to researchers at King’s College London who analysed 41 global studies on the growing problem. Experts say symptoms include feeling  panicky” or “upset” when unable to access the devices. The study authors warn that smartphone addiction can have a “serious” impact on mental health. BBC  

Start Blogging:
Other related businesses