- 1 tablespoon butter ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 whole chicken 5-pound, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- 4 cups Chicken Broth page 386
- 1 1/2 cups dried figs about
- 12 whole figs, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Melt the fat in a large stockpot over medium heat, then add the chicken and sauté for 10 minutes, or until browned.
- Add the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, and a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté the mixture for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Remove the lid and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add the dried figs and continue to simmer the mixture for another 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce, topped with the cilantro.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS: Place all of the ingredients except the cilantro in a slow cooker and cook for 5 to 6 hours on low. Garnish with the cilantro and serve.