- 500g/1lb 2oz strong white flour, plus extra for flouring
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- 10g fast action yeast
- 10g salt
- 150g/5½oz unsalted butter, softened
- 250ml/9fl oz full-fat milk
- pinch ground nutmeg & pinch ground cloves
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 drops almond extract
- 55g/2oz blanched almonds, finely chopped
- 200g/7oz raisins
- 100g/3½oz curant
- 125g/4oz mixed peel
- 25g/1oz butter, melted
- 225g/8oz marzipan
25g/1oz butter, melted
2 tbsp icing sugar
- Put the flour and sugar in a large bowl, add the yeast on one side and the salt on the other. Add the butter & 200ml/7fl oz of the milk and stir together.
- Add the remaining milk and form a soft dough. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and pliable.
- Mix the nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, almond extract, almonds, dried fruit and mixed peel in a large bowl. Put the dough on top and knead to incorporate the dried fruit and spices as you go. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rise for 1-2 hours in a warm place, or until doubled in size.
- Flatten the dough on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle. Brush with the melted butter.
- Roll out the marzipan. Place on top of the dough in the middle. Roll the dough up to enclose the marzipan and transfer to a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Cover and leave until risen and doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5 (fan 170C), bake for an hour. Remove from the oven, brush with melted butter, and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve cold.