Wednesday, 12th August 2020

This Month's Magazine
Living and working in Spain (A short guide)

Living and working in Spain (A short guide)

Spain offers an attractive culture for many expats despite the fallout from the global financial and Eurozone crises (Extract taken from Bupa Global well being/international)

LEGAL EU citizens and nationals from the European Economic Areas (EEA) – i.e. EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway or Switzerland do not require a work permit or visa to be employed in Spain. However, Croatian citizens will need work permits till June 30th, 2020 (approximately).

Spain is also one of the 26 Schengen countries with one common visa and no border controls. US, Australian, Canadian and New Zealand nationals don’t need a short-stay visa to enter Spain but will need a long-term residence visa for stays exceeding three months.

Spain observes standard business hours of 8.30am or 9am to around 1.30pm, followed by a ‘siesta’, with work resuming from 4.30pm or 5pm to around 8pm. A standard 40-hour week is observed. Employees are entitled to 14 public holidays and normally to 30 days paid holiday a year, unless they opt out under a collective agreement or contract, and are usually taken between July and September.

Spanish working culture is very open, with strong value placed on personal relationships, cultural traditions and family life. Time keeping and deadlines are frequently regarded as targets rather than fixed project
end points.



Business dress should reflect your professionalism, style and serious approach to business. Top quality materials in subdued colours are advisable and designer clothing and/or accessories are a good idea. Women
are advised to wear well-cut suits or dresses in high quality lighter fabrics.

The Euro is the official currency. Many banks will allow non-residents to open an account with a card, cheque book and PIN within a week. You’ll need a certificate of non-residency (certificado de no residencia) 
from a police station (which usually takes 10 days) to do this. To open an account you’ll need your passport or other proof of identity, foreigner identification number and proof of your address and employment status. 

To live and work in Spain, you need to file a Spanish tax return. Taxes are split between state and regional governments with their own tax rates.. Residents of more than 6 months, will be subject to Spanish tax on
their worldwide income, while non-residents will pay Spanish tax on Spanish income only, including Spanish property. VAT and investment interest are also charged. Both residents and non residents will need to
register for tax with the Agencia Tributaria.

Please contact  for further information or to receive the full leaflet 

Start Blogging:
Other related businesses