Frigilian history dates back to prehistoric times, since then it was inhabited by various people of different cultures such
as the Phoenicians, the Romans and the Arabs, all of whom have added to the monumental wealth and value of the locality. It was the place for numerous confrontations during Arab occupation up to the time of the famous Battle of PeÃ±on de Frigiliana in 1579, when the Moors were finally expelled. You can learn about this piece of history strolling through the old part of town where 12 ceramic plates illustrate the event.
The cobble stoned lanes, the saving of space (many houses are cut into the rock), the brilliant whitewash and the many aspects of the local architecture which are traditionally Moorish make for the prettiness of this village, including the general cleanliness of which the villagers are very proud.
The important Patron Fiesta and Feria in honour of Saint Anthony are from the 11th to the 13th of June.
The Fiesta in honour of Patron Saint Sebastian is on the 20th of January.
On the 3rd of May it is the Fiesta of the Crosses (Cruces).
Ajocolorao (coloured garlic), Cauliflower Stew, Fennel Stew, Bacalao (dried cod) Stew, Breadcrumbs, Omelette with flour and sugar cane honey, Olive Oil Kid Casserole, Sweet Potato & Honey. The cuisine shares its recipes with region of AxarquÃa in addition to its own like Kid Frigilian Style which is prepared with an almonds sauce. Sugar Cane Honey is the main ingredient used for making sweets. The gradual introduction of subtropical agriculture throughout the region of AxarquÃa over many years (avocados, mangos, papayas, custard apples, etc.) and green house products have added a gastronomic wealth to the local cuisine that now comprises all these types of produces. WHAT TO BUY
Typical products are wine, oil, avocado oil, sugar cane honey, raisins and figs, not forgetting the local ceramic products.
The parochial church of S. Antonio, XVII century. The S. Antonio de Padua Church was built in 1676.
Its architect was D. Bernardo de Godoy and was buiilt on an area occupying 620 m2 over the top of a mosque. All costs were met by the Manriques de Lara.