FOR THE MERINGUE
6 organic Egg Whites
350g/12oz caster sugar
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 level tsp corn flour
FOR THE LEMON CURD FILLING
• 6 free-range egg yolks
• 350g/12oz caster sugar
• 4 lemons, juice only
• 225g/8oz butter
• 450ml/¾pint double cream
FOR THE CANDIED LEMON ZEST
• 125g/4oz caster sugar, plus extra for coating the zest
• 3 lemons, zest only
• 30 chocolate mini-eggs
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Lay a piece of baking paper on a baking tray and draw a 25cm/10in circle on it.
- Whisk the egg whites on the fastest speed mixer until stiff then gradually add generous teaspoons of sugar until the mixture is stiff and shiny and stands in peaks.
- Blend the vinegar and corn flour together until smooth and stir this into the meringue mixture.
- Spread half the mixture onto the paper. Fill a piping bag with a rose nozzle with the rest of the mixture. Carefully pipe about 10 separate little nests positioned equally around the edge of the circle.
- Slide into the middle of the oven and bake for 1½-2 hours at 150C/300F/Gas 2, or until it easily comes off the paper. The Pavlova will be a pale creamy colour rather than white, leave in the oven until cold.
- For the lemon curd filling, place a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water, simmering gently. Add the egg yolks, sugar and lemon juice and whisk. Add the butter, whisking continually until it starts to thicken. It will firm up further once cooled. Whisk the double cream then swirl it through the cooled lemon curd.
- Spoon the lemon curd and cream mixture into the middle of the Pavlova and spread over the base of the meringue nest. Spoon a lemon filling into each of the mini nests. Decorate by placing three chocolate mini-eggs in each of the 10 mini-nests around the edge of the dessert.
- Put 100ml/3½fl oz water and the caster sugar in a pan. Bring to the boil, stirring. Add the zest and boil for 2-3 minutes, or until syrupy. Drain on parchment paper, roll in extra caster sugar and leave to dry in a warm place for a couple of hours, or overnight. Place a delicate mound of candied zest in the middle of the
Pavlova, and serve.