Ingredients (Serves up to 6):
- 1 Goose
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Apples (quartered and cored)
- 2 Onions (quartered and cored)
- 2 Stalks Rosemary
- Pre heat oven to 220ÂºC/425ÂºF/Gas 7.Weigh your bird to calculate cooking time
- Prick the skin all over with a fork, so that the fat can run out during cooking
- Season the goose cavity generously with salt and pepper; insert the apples, onions and rosemary. Finally rub the goose all over with salt
- Place the goose on a rack* in a large roasting tin and roast in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, cover the breast in aluminium foil and reduce the over temperature to 180Â°C/350Â°F/Gas 4
- Roast for 30 minutes per kg. (Carefully drain off the fat from the roasting tray twice during cooking and reserve for later, use for roasting potatoes)
- Remove the foil about 20 minutes before the end of cooking time and baste the goose breast with a little cold water several times so that the skin can become crisp and brown. Check that the meat is cooked by piercing the thigh with a skewer
- When cooked the juices will run clear.
- Carefully place the goose onto a warm serving plate or carving board and cover with aluminium foil. Leave for at least 30 minutes to rest, then carve and serve.
Mashed potatoes rather compliment the richness of the goose. Also roast, coarsely chopped root vegetables (carrot, celery, parsnip and turnip) and whole cloves of garlic in goose fat. Add a few baby Brussels sprouts for colour. Goose is also good with braised fennel or red cabbage, bacon rolls, glazed apple slices and bread sauce or a sauce made with gooseberries or apples.