Tuesday, 15th October 2019
SPORTS & LEISURE Article
Advertisment

This Month's Magazine

Sports International

A few notable headlines.

Mendes quitting game? Portsmouth midfi elder Pedro Mendes has said he considered quitting football following Ben Thatcher’s challenge. Mendes was knocked unconscious after Manchester City defender Th atcher hit him with his forearm. When asked, Mendes said “The thing is, this can happen just on the road,
everywhere something can happen but this is what I do and this is what I like to do, play football.” Mendes says he is ready to return to action against Wigan just 16 days after the incident after a specialist gave him the go-ahead. Th e 27- year-old has previously described Thatcher’s challenge as the worst moment of his career. “It was terrible. After the incident, I do not remember anything after that until I was in hospital,” he said, “It is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my career” he added. Th atcher was banned for six games and fi ned £120,000 by his club. Th e internal club punishment was  separate from any Football Association sanctions over the
incident.
Ex-trainer “Duke” Nicholson dies. Legendary former jumps trainer David Nicholson has died at the age of 67. The two-time  champion trainer, fondly nicknamed ‘The Duke’, retired in 1999, having taken out his first training licence in 1968. Among his high-profile winners were Charter Party in the 1988 Cheltenham Gold Cup and Barton Bank in the 1993 King George VI Chase. Based at Jackdaws Castle, Nicholson was champion trainer in 1993-94 and retained his title the next season. Nicholson was also a successful jockey, riding more than 600 winners in a career that stretched from 1951 to 1972. He began as an apprentice to his father Frenchie and rode his fi rst winner in his fi rst ride at Chepstow in 1955. His big wins included the 1968 Whitbread Gold Cup on Arkle’s great rival Mill House while his best season in the saddle was in 1966/67 when he had 63 winners.
Citroën reward rising star Sordo Dani Sordo has been retained by Citroën to drive alongside double world rally champion Sebastien Loeb next season. The 23-year-old, world junior champion last year, has been driving a Citroën for Belgian
team Kronos this season. Th e Spaniard will now continue
to race alongside Frenchman Loeb as Citroën Sport’s second driver in 2007. Sordo has been a revelation this season, earning three podium finishes to leave him lying third in the standings with five races left.


Advertisment


Start Blogging:
Other related businesses