Have you ever tried to search, say in Google, for Â“web marketing?Â” Try it! You will probably get a listing of more than 150 million addresses, most of which offer web marketing and search engine optimisation. It is tempting to ask the last few on the last page how come they are not on the first page!
This tells me just two things. Firstly, it proves that it is a mathematical impossibility for everyone to be first: someone has come first and someone last. Secondly, as there are so many, it suggests there must be a lot of money to be made offering this service to businesses that try to reach the impossible.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) isnÂ’t a one-time effort. The variables that influence search visibility and rankings are constantly changing: search engines update their rules, competitors constantly optimize their pages to improve their rankings, and new players enter the game.
While it is true that your website needs to be constantly updated on changes in order to maintain position, it is also true that your competitors are doing exactly the same, therefore the fact that someone is first today and may be last tomorrow, is reinforced.
You created your website in order to promote your business and make money from it. We seem to forget that what is important is for our websites to be seen by consumers that are interested in our products or services; it is of little use to be found by thousands who just happened to be drawn on the website by a clever SEO officer. That actually is an annoyance to the searcher.
More to the point, what can we do to ensure that our website is found by the right consumer who is actually interested in what we provide?
- A) The Website itself.
Sure, letÂ’s help search engines to find us. They send robot Â“spidersÂ” to index the content on your webpage, so letÂ’s begin with steps to prepare your web pages for optimal indexing.
- Write a page title. Write a descriptive title for each page of 5 to 8 words. Remove as many Â“fillerÂ” words from the title, such as Â“the,Â” Â“and,Â” etc.
- Write a description META Tag. This sentence should describe the contents of the body text of the webpage.
- Include your keywords in header tags H1, H2, H3, headlines and sub-headlines.
- Make sure your keywords are in the first paragraph of your body text.
- Avoid using frames. Search engines do not like them.
- Develop several pages focused on particular keywords, since nearly duplicate web pages might penalise you.
- Submit webpage URL to search engines.
- B) Outside the Internet.
There is a lot that you can do and can target your market with information about your website.
- Include your URL on stationery, cards, and literature.
- Promote using traditional media. DonÂ’t discontinue print advertising. It is the best way to advertise your business and your website at the same time.
- Promotional activity - Announce a contest. People like getting something for free.
- C) Using the Internet.
Make use of the Internet:
- Submit your site to key directories (i.e. Web Express Guide) and to Industry Sites and Specialized Directories.
- Request reciprocal links and exchange ads with complementary businesses
- Install a Â“SignatureÂ” in your E-Mail program
- Write articles for others to use in their newsletters & issue news releases.
- Publish an E-Mail Newsletter & send offers to your visitors and customers.
- Develop a free service.
- Ask visitors to bookmark your site.