This recipe is perfect for you to prepare in advance and just reheat as they arrive to keep you out of the kitchen!
I would suggest that you serve this winter warmer with herb crushed potatoes or creamy mash and some earthy winter root
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, unpeeled, roughly chopped
- 2 onions, unpeeled, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic bulb, unpeeled, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 250ml/9fl oz red wine
- 150ml/5½fl oz port
- 500ml/1pint 2fl oz chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a casserole and fry the lamb shanks, oneat a time, for 2-3 minutes, turning regularly, until browned all over. Remove from the dish and repeat with the remaining lamb shanks.
- Add the vegetables to the casserole and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. Return the lamb shanks to the casserole and pour over the wine, port and stock.
- Cover the casserole with a lid and cook in the oven for 2½-3 hours, or until the lamb shanks are very tender.
- To serve, remove the lamb shanks from the casserole and place onto serving plates with your choice of potatoes and vegetables. Strain the liquid from the casserole into a jug and serve it alongside.